Wednesday 25 January 2012

Just one more

I read these words last night.  They hit me hard.  I stopped and re-read them several times to let the reality of them sink in.
 – Katie Davis, “Kisses from Katie”
"The truth is that the 143 million orphaned children and the 11 million who starve to death or die from preventable diseases and the 8.5 million who work as child slaves, prostitutes, or under other horrific conditions and the 2.3 million who live with HIV add up to 164.8 million needy children.  And though at first glance that looks like a big number, 2.1 billion people on this earth proclaim to be Christians.
The truth is that if only 8 percent of the Christians would care for one more child, there would not be any statistics left.
This is the Truth.  I have the freedom to believe it.  The freedom, the opportunity to do something about it.  The truth is that He loves these children just as much as He loves me and now that I know, I am responsible.”  
Now that I know, I am responsible.
God has placed me in this land of freedom, given me the opportunity - the riches and means and stuff (which I waste, throw away, toss aside, take for granted) – to do something about it.
When I read my Bible, I don’t read words like, live the easy life, take what you can get and keep it, live for yourself for your days are short, buy as much stuff as you can and live in as much comfort as you can, ‘cause God loves me and gave it all to me and wants me to be happy.  No.
I read words like,
 “Like a cage full of birds, their houses are full of deceit; therefore, they have become great and rich; they have grown fat and sleek.  They know no bounds in deeds of evil; they judge not with justice the cause of the fatherless, to make it prosper, and they do not defend the rights of the needy.  Shall I not punish them for these things?  declares the Lord.” Jer. 5:27-29

Or,
“if you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the needs of the afflicted...” Is. 58:10
And,
“Stop doing wrong, learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed.  Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.” Is. 1:17
And Jesus’ own words,
 “..whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and give his life as a random for many.” Mark 10:43-45
When I read my Bible, I read words like defend, plead, seek, encourage – not apathy, indifference, affluence, retirement funds.  I read words like pour yourself out, not dribble a drop here, scatter some leftovers there.  I read words like serve, slave – not be served, be comfortable, and warm pews.
These words are hard.  But if the stats are correct in the quote from Katie Davis, if only 8 out of every 100 who proclaim to be Christians, acted out these hard verbs with the freedom and resources we’ve been granted to do so by the God we claim to serve, then the 164.8 million children in desperate need beyond my own comprehension, would cease to be living in these conditions.
That actually shakes me, knots my stomach, this thought that it is possible for there to be no more needy children.  How can I not do something about that?  Just one more?  I already support two, one across the world, one across town; one financially, one with the open arms and home of love – both in Jesus’ name.  But today, I will add just one more.
Will you join me in putting faith into action today?  ‘Cause now that you read this post, you know.  And now that you know, you too are responsible.
What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds?  Can such a faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.  If one of you says to him, “Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?  In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.”  James 2:14-17
Here are a few links, all serving faithfully in Jesus' name, to help you make that step of faith a little easier and only a click away.
  • Sixty Feet - ministering to imprisoned and abandoned children in Uganda by bringing hope and restoration to these desperate children in Jesus' name. 
  • Amazima Ministries - helping to educate and empower the people of Uganda with God's love
  • Compassion International - child sponsorship programs serving needy children around the world
  • Gospel for Asia, Bridge of Hope - serving the impoverished children within the Dalit caste of India, the poorest of the poor.



4 Comments:

At 25 January 2012 at 16:44 , Blogger Amanda said...

So very true! Thank you for sharing. It is our responsibility as Christians to care for these children and I hope many more are encouraged by your words to do so! God bless!!

 
At 26 January 2012 at 07:33 , Blogger Amy Sullivan said...

Great book, and I must say I love it when posts get practical. I try to do that too.

I love when people say, "What are you moved? Well, than go do something!"

Thanks, Stephanie. Good way to start my day.

 
At 26 January 2012 at 08:39 , Blogger Stephanie said...

Good morning dear Amy! I love your practical posts, they are a great reminder that, yes, small things do make a big difference. As Katie's stats in this quote show. Have a blessed day!

 
At 27 January 2012 at 13:12 , Blogger Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Your words -- and Katie's -- touch me deeply.

This, here: "Now that I know, I am responsible."

Profoundly life-changing words. How I thank you for sharing them. How I thank you for linking.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home