Wednesday 20 November 2013

The 'Jesus Card' and a Letter to Rob Ford


Dear Rob Ford,

I'm not very politically minded, nor very vocal about such things, but after seeing the mayor of Canada's largest city mock the Name of the Lord Jesus yesterday, I'm afraid I cannot keep silent.

I only wish to speak the truth in love, but I must speak.  And I must say this:

that if you have really met the Lord Jesus, you would not be on a staged national television interview saying that you "kinda had a Jesus moment". 

You would be on your face crying out for mercy after seeing His holiness and your wretchedness. 

Like Saul.  When Jesus stood before him on the Damascus road, Saul was trembling and astonished fell on his face before Him.  Then for three days was without sight and neither ate nor drank. (Acts 9:1-9)

Like Peter.  When he realized that Jesus was really the Messiah and he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!" (Luke 5:8)

Like each of us He has saved.  Singing with heartfelt gratitude, "Amazing grace how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me!"

Even you, sir, in the midst of this sinking circus, are not too far from His reach of saving mercy and grace.  But you must reach for it in humility and genuine repentance. 

He is a God of mercy. 

But He is also a God of justice.

Ask for mercy and you shall receive it. ("Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved" Rom. 10:13)

Continue to pull out the 'Jesus card" in a feeble attempt to save your reputation, I'm afraid one day you'll only receive His justice.  And you won't fool any of His followers.

The God you mock sustains your very heart beat.  Your very breath.

Yet, please know that as long as you still have breath, His hand of mercy is extended to you. 

All you have to do is reach for it.

I pray that you will have a real encounter with the Lord Jesus and have the opportunity to experience His mercy.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home